cyclonejohn

Monday, January 12, 2009

Ab imo pectore

I hope everybody had a pleasant weekend. Mine was busy, but productive. Friday night I had a quick work-out and then headed over to my friend Emily's house where we drank wine, and she made a delicious Asian stir-fry dinner. I headed home at about 9:00 and I was in bed reading at about 10:30 when Nimit called with some news that could end up revamping my life in a great way. I wont go into great detail today about our conversation but I assure you that you will hear more about it later. Saturday morning, Mike and I had an epic basketball game. After that I popped in the DVD I had rented earlier called, "Bigger, Stronger, Faster". I give it a D+. The documentary got really got reviews but I didn't care for it at all. It basically was 90 minutes glorifying steroid use. The only good point I thought (being more and more libertarian everyday) is that it said organizations like baseball and the Olympics have every right to ban what they want but why are steroids illegal? Sure, they can have negative side effects with overuse... but not nearly as bad as tobacco or alcohol. I would agree that if you want to destroy your body and health just so your biceps can "pop" better, than go right ahead. Just keep them out of organized sports. Saturday night rolled around and my sister said I have two free movie tickets, do you want to go see Marley and Me? I am not one to pass up anything free so I readily accepted her offer. I had read the book before so I was mildly curious how the film would be. I wasn't disappointed but I wasn't in love either. I would give Marley and Me a solid B. It's not a bad movie but wait to rent it. Once again, I was asleep by 11:00. Sunday morning started with my good friend Adam X coming over. We played pool and talked politics for the whole morning and I loved it! We primarily talked about the Israel/Palestine conflict and I assure you more thoughts will come in the future. It was really great talking with him and I was fired up the rest of the day. After Adam left, and a quick stop at Taco Bell, my Dad and I went to go see the 14 - 1 Golden Gopher basketball team beat Penn State by 20 points. Plus we saw history. The Gophers are the first team in the history of pro or college basketball to go perfect (with at least eight attempts) on three pointers. They went 9 - 9. It's not that Penn State played bad, it's just that the Gophers couldn't miss!

1. I pretty much start every morning watching Robin Meade's on CNN Headline News. She is mesmerizing!

2. I can't believe I am writing this but I miss Iowa State and Ames. Does anyone have any interest in making the three hour drive South with me? Let me check my schedule... okay I'm free.

3. I like to give praise when praise is deserved. Fox News has never really been embarrassed to be the "fair and balanced" conservative answer to the "radical left wing" media in America. I have always been rankled when they have hired buffoons like O'Reilly, Hannity, and the morning show to represent modern conservative thought. These "journalists" are nothing more than cartoon characters. I caught an episode on Friday of the new Mike Huckabee show and I came away impressed. The former Arkansas Republican governor is conservative but had honest, and congenial debates with those who oppose him politically. In addition, he was self-deprecatingly funny and charming. As many of you know, despite me never being shy to call myself a person who leans liberal, I very much enjoy debating with conservatives (or those more liberal than me) and I like reading and watching programs that challenge me politically and make me grow intellectually. I hope Huckabee can do that.

4. Currently listening to Franki Valli's "Can't take my eyes off of you" from The Best of Franki Vallie and The Four Seasons.

3 Comments:

At 10:08 PM, Blogger Koo4You said...

ames will welcome you with 6 inches of snow and sub zero temperatures...

..you sure miss Ames?

oh and the varsity theatre is closing down this Thursday...

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger cyclonejohn said...

Let me know when you hear what Ames will do with the space that the Varsity Theater occupied.

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger cyclonejohn said...

Let me know when you hear what Ames will do with the space that the Varsity Theater occupied.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home