cyclonejohn

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

The spark before the flame

One of my many mottos to live by has been, "never a dull moment". I have always hated the feeling of being alone and because of that, I constantly like to surround myself with attention and people. Just as we all have our strengths and weaknesses, we all have our dreams and nightmares. I think my greatest nightmare is being alone. This is an idea that I have been ruminating about recently. When I think about the passing of Christmas, I am not being facetious when I say the things I miss the most are all the laughing and camaraderie shared with family and friends. When I think about being laid off, what I miss most is not the money but the bond between co-workers. Mother Teresa, in her infinite wisdom once said, "The most terrible poverty is loneliness; and the feeling of being unloved." The sage words that Ms. Teresa wrote about are absolutely true. I don't know yet if I will move to Chicago but I am certainly leaning toward yes. It is not that I will have great material wealth, or security by moving there. But the thrill of the new, and the love I have felt from those living in the biggest Midwestern city is palpable to me.

1. Yesterday I watched the documentary, Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room. I loved it!!! I learned so much about the absolute hubris that took down the 7th biggest company in America. I learned about the connection between the Bush administration and Enron and how Enron caused the power shortages in California for their personal gain. To simplify it, Enron basically set up a monopoly with the power companies in California. They then caused power shortages making electricity a more valuable commodity. This is of course unethical and illegal. However, the SEC (Securities Exchange Committee) coincidentally never investigated Enron... I wonder if the Bush/Enron connection had anything to do with that? That is just ONE of the many scams that Enron did in their history.

2. Speaking of movies, Mike and I watched the movie Pineapple Express this afternoon. Director Judd Apatow described the movie on the back of the box as, "Stoner comedy meets Die-Hard". Not quite. I thought the movie was mediocre at best. I would probably give it a C. There were several times I laughed out loud but the movie is so ridiculously sophomoric that it was unwatchable at times.

3 Comments:

At 9:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not only is Pineapple Express sophomoric, I found it very slow, with a lot of unnecessary boring dialogue. While you gave a C, I would call Judd Apatow and have him beg me to give it a D-.

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger cyclonejohn said...

Okay, I don't disagree. A letter grade of a C probably was a bit too generous.

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

I'd give it a C+. The movie was horrible at times, but it had one liners that came out of nowhere and made me really laugh. It was rather predictable, and off the wall though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home