cyclonejohn

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Glass Onion

I was flipping channels the other day and I saw this thing on E about ComicCon. For those of you who don't know, ComicCon is this giant nerd celebration every year in California (San Diego I believe). It celebrates comic books, Star Trek, Magic the Gathering, Dungeons and Dragons, et cetera. It is now part of pop culture as a festival for all things geek. Now lots of cities are having them. NYC just had a major ComicCon. I would like to know where one is so I could go and people watch. I'm not hear to judge. For purely sociological purposes, I would enjoy the experience. Although I often describe myself as nerdy or geeky due to my outer exterior as a short, unathletic, white male, with spectacles, I rarely actually participate in geeky activities. I don't think I have ever actually read a comic book. I have never actually played Dungeons and Dragons. I find Star Trek uninteresting. I do, however, very much like Lord of the Rings but I have only seen the movies. And I liked the Star Wars movies (all six of them) but I would not dress up as BoboFet just to get in better touch with my inner George Lucas. Here is ComicCon's official link: http://www.comic-con.org/

1. Yesterday was a unique experience. While watching the Gophers basketball team destroy Indiana, former Gopher All-American Trent Tucker got his jersey retired. He is only the fifth Gopher to have that honor. Many sports greats were there including Rich Gannon, Ralph Sampson, Flip Saunders, and Kevin McHale to congratulate Tucker. The Gophers are now 19-5 and barring total collapse should make the tournament. Considering they were 9 - 22 two years ago, and finishing in last place in the Big 10, this is a major two year turn-around.

2. I see Brett Favre is retiring again? Does anybody care?

3. I am off to Chicago tomorrow morning for a while. Hopefully I come back with a job offer!

4. Currently listening to The Beatles: (White Album)

8 Comments:

At 1:27 PM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

I would consider going for that very reason. I don't think I'm enough of a geek to get excited, but the people watching would be very interesting.

Also, many of the artists that draw webcomics go to comiccons. I would like to meet a few of them.

 
At 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm basically 100% sure you've already seen it, but the Triumph the Insult Comic Dog bit at the Star Wars convention is always worth another watch...ComicCon humor at its best.

I only care about Favre retiring if the Jets release him and he ends up changing his mind again and signs with the Vikings. Highly unlikely, but not out of the realm of possibility.

Good luck with the job hunt! Hope the offer comes through for you.

What were your thoughts on Obama's press conference on Monday? Did he manage to alter your D+ grade on the stimulus package in any way?

Also, to comment on a previous post, I thought the Grammys were terrible. Although I didn't have any real complaints about the big winners (Coldplay, Robert Plant & Allison Krauss), the show itself was severely lacking, and the performances - cemented by a migraine-inducing duet by Stevie Wonder and the Jonas Brothers - were laughable at best. In my humble opinion, the current state of popular music may truly be at an all-time low.

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger cyclonejohn said...

Hi Mike,

I could not agree with you more about the current state of music. There is almost nothing in the Top 40 that is even tolerable. I did actually watch Obama's whole press conference and I'm not sure what to think. I still hate the plan but when all of the brightest American economists all agree that a stimulus is necessary, than who am I to disagree?

 
At 10:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just to reiterate the popular music point: The current #1 song on the Billboard charts is Kelly Clarkson's "My Life Would Suck Without You." Yikes.

I don't have any problem at all with the general idea of a stimulus package. I think the handful of ultra-conservative politicians who are suggesting the government should do nothing at all ought to be stripped of their Congressional seats tomorrow. However, I do take issue with the hundreds of billions of dollars in proposed tax breaks. Yes, getting a check in the mail for a few hundred dollars might be nice. But will it entice me (or anyone else) to go out and spend, spend, spend?? Probably not. More likely, I'm going to put that money into a savings account, use it to pay off overdue bills, put it under a mattress...whatever. But I'm not going to stuff it in my pockets and go to the mall. Instead, I'd like to see that money go directly to the thousands of responsible companies who are currently having to lay off workers, or specifically to homeowners struggling to pay off mortgages, or...the list goes on. But it doesn't need to go to me. Of course I like having more money, but right now I don't really need it, or at least not nearly as much as a whole lot of other people and businesses do.

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger Jon said...

Well it's not Comic Con exactly, but a similar gathering is being held in July in Bloomington, called CONvergence (I only know this because my girlfriend's friend back in MN is going). So you should go, and you should definitely dress up. You're right, though, I don't think Boba Fett is really you. Maybe Jar Jar?

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

If we are going classic star wars I expect nothing less than either Jabba the Hut or Leia.

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

no one cares....


about favre.

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger cyclonejohn said...

I definitely want to go to CONvergence!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home