cyclonejohn

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

You smile like a saint; but you curse like a sailor.

It's that time again. No, not spring. No, not Valentine's Day. It's diet time. When I was in college, one of my roommate's had a special scale. It did more than just display your weight. You can be really skinny, not weigh much, but not be in very good shape. You could weigh quite a bit for your height, but be big boned, or have lots of muscle, and be in great shape. My roommate bought a scale that had sensors that touched your feet and told you what percentage of body fat you are (in addition to your weight.) You could sit in a steam room for 40 minutes and "lose" 2 pounds but that doesn't mean you are healthier. Your body fat percentage would remain the same. According to Men's Health, you should not call yourself an athlete if your body fat percentage is not right around 10%. In college, mine was between 11 and 13%. Not an athlete, but not bad. Sunday night I bought myself one of these scales. I came in at 18.7%! To give myself credit, this weekend consisted of beer, and hamburgers as stapes of my diet. I have decided to weigh myself every Sunday night and track my progress. The goal is 15% by the end of February. This is a much better way to track my health and fitness than weighing myself. It is salads and diet cokes for me when we go out. The Six pack will be back for swim suit weather. I can guarantee you that.

1. How good is this? Actress Jessica Alba gives Bill O'Reilly a history lesson... after caling him an asshole. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28879799/

2. I had no idea Natalie Portman was so funny (and gangsta): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8e6-IeQ0aw&feature=related

3. Currently listening to "Don't let me down" by The Beatles. Album: Let it Be

5 Comments:

At 10:44 AM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

So the only two variables to measure how healthy you are are weight and body fat percent? If that's true, then I'm waaaaaaaay healthier than you. :) Though I doubt that anyone would call me an athlete.

Skip the Diet Coke. Get milk or juice or water instead. Also, I expect weekly updates.

So you guarantee a six pack by swim suit season eh? When exactly is that? And is this anything like your bet with Nimit Sophmore year? ;)

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger cyclonejohn said...

Swim suit season in Minnesota is what... mid-June? Good memory. Yes, this is a lot like Nimit and my bet a few years ago. If I can get back into where I was when we lived at Sterling, I would be quite pleased. Also, I am not saying that body fat percentage is the only way to measure health. There are actually many "overweight" people who are very healthy. I am just suggesting body fat percentage is a better indicator of health than a scale that does weight only.

 
At 6:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pXfHLUlZf4&feature=channel_page

This is that song I was talking about last week. Hilarious.

 
At 6:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep the diet coke (no calories). Drinking calories doesn't help at all. You should EAT your calories instead. You don't feel full after drinking two glasses of orange juice which could be close to 400 calories, but if you have a 400-cal sandwich you may feel full.

Pop vitamins if you're interested in the nutritional benefits of juice or milk.

Also, weight training will help burn fat fast, and eat enormous amounts of protein.

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger cyclonejohn said...

Yes Mike, I watched the Jizz in my Pants Saturday Night Live skit after you left on Saturday. It was something?? I did laugh and I loved Timberlake's cameo. So far so good on the diet front. I am only weighing myself on Sunday nights so I will let you know how that goes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home