cyclonejohn

Tuesday, June 08, 2010

2010's Madonna

I know I am not the first one to make the comparison but it is clear that Lady Gaga is the 2010 version of Madonna. From her crazy outfits, to her bizarre quotes, to her catchy, but often-times, racy songs, Lady Gaga is a slightly edgier Madonna. Of course 2010 is a different time than 1986. Those who follow pop culture have been eagerly awaiting today because it was the release of Gaga's uber-controversial video for her new single, Alejandro. Well. It is really racy. I have written often, including yesterday, about how irritated I get when celebrities try to shock me. Today might have been the exception to the rule. Youtube has banned the video but I found it on www.musicvideolife.com. It is almost nine minutes, but has simulated intercourse, nun dominatrix, and some really offensive jabs at Catholicism. The song itself is on the weak end. I am certainly not lining up to buy concert tickets, but I can also admit that songs like, "Eh, eh", "Pokerface", and "Papparazzi" have catchy moments. This song is less a dance club hit than some sort of bizarre social commentary. I don't think the radio will play it due to not only its pace, but there aren't a lot of nine minute songs played on the Top 40 radio stations.

1. The Afghanistan War has now officially passed the Vietnam War as the longest war in American history. With a major offensive for northern Afghanistan scheduled to begin in the next few weeks, there is no clear end in sight.

2. I did like reading that when Obama was asked by ABC News if he would fire the BP CEO Tony Hayward if he had the chance and he responded with, "Yes. There would be ass to kick." Nice.

2 Comments:

At 7:56 PM, Blogger Emilia said...

Where did you read that Afghanistan is longer than Vietnam? Depending on when you start counting, Vietnam went on for almost 20 years.

Trivia question: when was the first US troop killed in Vietnam?

Answer: 1946. Not even kidding.

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger cyclonejohn said...

I have read that Afghanistan is the longest war in numerous different places. In particular, I blogged after reading the article in TIME magazine by columnists Aryn Baker/Loi Kolay called: The U.S. in Afghanistan: The Longest War.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home