cyclonejohn

Monday, March 01, 2010

Kitsch

Today was a day I had been dreading. For the past few months I have been working as a sales representative at a credit card processing company. I had a terrific manager, wonderful co-workers and I hated to resign. Unfortunately, the pressure of 100% commission, in an economy that makes straight commission jobs difficult, I had to find a better position. On Saturday I accepted a position at a health club. My position will be to try to secure new members. Although this position is still heavy commission, it does have a base salary, plus I can walk to work, and enjoy free gym membership. All in all, I will be in a better situation.

I did have a very nice weekend. After a pretty stressful week,, Allie and I decided we wanted a night out. We met up with some friends in Evanston, and went to a nice steak restaurant named Pete Miller's. We are friends with a host, and he hooked us up with great seats. They are known for their live jazz; and they most definitely did not disappoint. After blowing my entertainment budget for the week, I decided that I would not spend any more money this weekend. I did end up going back to the Art Institute to see the rest of the exhibits. It is in my top three art museums I have ever seen. Their miniature room collection is amazing.

Since I last wrote, I have watched a lot of movies - some good, some bad. Here is the recap:

Law Abiding Citizen: The critics panned this movie, but I really liked it. It is pretty violent, but also really interesting. I give it a B+.

The Crazies: This movie came out on Friday. It is the same type of zombie movie as all the others. A virus hits a small community and makes them all turn into zombies. Although Jim, Sarah, and Allie all enjoyed it. I thought it was remarkably banal and lacked any creativity. It was more gross than anything else. I give it a D-.

Zombieland: I thought a good fix after watching a trite zombie movie, would be to watch a spoof of a zombie movie. I give this movie a B-/C+. It had its funny moments. Woody Harrelson was excellent. Bill Murray's cameo was hysterical. However, the movie was kind of ridiculous - not in a good way.

Ghost: This movie came out 20 year ago and is a classic. Starring a young Demi Moore, Whoopi Goldberg, and Patrick Swayze, I had heard that Ghost was really good but I had never seen it. It is definitely a chick-flick, and kind of cheesy but still a really well acted, well written movie. I give it an A-/B+.

Extract: I pretty much love anything that Jason Bateman does. Extract is no exception. With great performances by Kristen Wiig, and J.K. Simmons, I thought this movie was quite funny. At times it was slow, but all in all, it was worth the $1.00 rental charge at Redbox. I give it a B.

Surrogates: Not great but certainly not awful. This sci-fi film starring Bruce Willis was actually better than I expected. It is not going to win any awards, but is worth renting. I give it a C+/B-.

1. I had never heard of the "singer" Justin Bieber until this weekend. Unbelievably bad pop music. He is the worst thing to happen to pop music in years.

2. I am not sure if it is because I am a loyal Minnesotan, or if I just really enjoy the taste, but when it comes to coffee shops, I will always be a Caribou Coffee guy. Based primarily on nostalgia, some of my favorite memories in high school were of meeting friends for laughter and conversation while enjoying a chai tea, smoothie, turtle mocha, or hot chocolate at Caribou. Unfortunately, due to a lack of discretionary income by its customers, Caribou's business model has struggled the past three years. Needless to say, I am very excited and interested in the new Caribou. In the next year, Caribou is going to revamp their whole image from the folksy, cabin feel to a new chic, modern feel. Although this might turn off people like me, I can understand the marketing staff to try something new to see if it can bring business up.

3 Comments:

At 2:45 PM, Anonymous tieds said...

I'm glad you finally quit that job. I sounds like your new one will be tons better.

Law Abiding Citizen: My roommate and I rented it the other day, but it wouldn't play. I'm excited to see it tho.

Crazies: Will not be seeing it

Zombieland: Will not be seeing it

Ghost: I agree, great movie

Extract: Possibly the worst movie I have seen in the past few months

Surrogates: I said possibly to Extract, because this could be a worse movie

1. Justin Bieber along with Fox News, Pat Robertson, Rush Limbaugh, Reverend Phelps, the Bush Administration, The Reagan Administration, Harry Potter, Twilight, and Nancy Pelosi should be sent to Auschwitz circa 1939 to take a shower.

2. I don't think revamping the image of Caribou will change anything. Their problem was opening too many stores too quickly. This happened with Starbucks as well. It won't bother me when this fails because Starbucks is tons better than Caribou anyway. And that's not an opinion, it's a fact.

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger Koo4You said...

1. Did you not see the closing ceremonies of the olympics? If you didn't, "Canada's Triple Threat" performed back-to-back-to-back.
(in order)
Nickelback
Avril Lavigne
Simple Plan

nothing says olympic spirit quite like "Girlfriend".

to go off tieds...they should join in on the shower parade.

 
At 6:59 PM, Anonymous tieds said...

well said, blasé, well said.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home