cyclonejohn

Tuesday, March 09, 2010

So far so good

Two days into my new job and so far so good. One of the weirdest things about starting my third job in the past year is the judging looks by those who view me as an obvious flake for constantly quitting jobs. Those who know me well know the reasons why I had to leave my previous stints of employment. Whether they be financial issues or sanity issues, to me, I always had more than legitimate reasons for needing to explore other job possibilities. My biggest fear is that potential future employers will view this gap in my resume as problem in my work ethic and/or commitment. Do you know how on the bottom of the front page of every section of USA Today there is a little survey "snapshot" section? Today's survey was to HR managers. It asked the simple question, "Do you find a one or more year gap in the resume to be a serious red flag?" 93% of those who responded said, "Yes". Naturally, this caught my attention. Don't get me wrong, after two days, I am very happy with my new line of work. However, what's to say my health club doesn't have lay-offs in the future and I have to resort to sending out more resumes? Do I leave it blank? Do I list that I work at three different places in the past year? Do I write extensively in my cover letter about the gap? Needless to say, it is often futile to play the future guessing game. For now, I will just hope I continue to enjoy my new job, make a livable salary, and find enough fulfillment that I do not need to send out more resumes for several years.

1. Yesterday Allie and I watched the movie Julia & Julie I was amazed at how much I enjoyed it. I give it a A-/B+. It is just amazing at how talented Meryl Streep. From Kramer vs. Kramer, Adaptation, Doubt, et cetera, Streep is the most talented actress in the United States. Julia & Julia is not a complex movie by any means, just a fun romantic comedy with several very witty moments.

2. Ladies and Gentlemen, victory is closer than I ever thought possible. Today on his show, Rush Limbaugh said, and I quote, "I'll just tell you this, if this passes, and it is five years from now and all that stuff gets implemented - I am leaving the country. I am going to Costa Rica." C'mon Congress!!!

3. Speaking of movies, I read on ESPN that Robert DeNiro has signed onto star in a new movie as Vince Lombardi. A few years ago I read this brilliant biography about Vince Lombardi called When Pride Still Mattered by David Maraniss, I wondered when there would be a movie about Lombardi's life. DeNiro will be perfect for the role.

4. Currently listening to "There goes my love" by The Blue Van.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home