cyclonejohn

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Alpha (fe)male: part one

Hanna Rosin, the brilliant columnist for Slate Magazine, has a really interesting piece on the end of male dominance in the United States. Without using misleading statistics, Rosin uses a variety of interesting points to affirm her view that women have surpassed men in several areas. Here were some interesting things I pulled out of the article:

A) Sons are preferred over daughters? Nope, according to research by biologist Ronald Ericson at fertility clinics, girls are requested more so than boys. Under the new drug, MicroSort, currently being reviewed by the FDA, 75% of their requests are for girls.

B) According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there are now more female supervisors than male supervisors. 51.4% of managers in the United States are female.

C) According to the Department of Education, two out of every three bachelor's degrees being awarded in 2010 will be given to women. Six out of ten master's degrees will be earned by women.

D) Of the eight million people laid off last year, those who were let go were overwhelmingly male in overwhelmingly male dominated fields - finance, construction, et cetera.

There are many other gems, but I think you get it. This article was quite interesting me; as I re-read the article, I began to agree more and more with Ms. Rosin. She is not taking the Maureen Dowd tongue in cheek take of two years ago suggesting that there is no place for men, she is simply saying that the playing field is equal and in many cases, advantage women. This makes me wonder if archaic affirmative action and Title IX laws are really necessary. One point Rosin has is that women have decided it is okay to go into "macho" fields (engineering, banking, et cetera) with minimal negative feedback but men refuse to go into traditional female roles - nursing, teaching, secretarial, et cetera. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there are now more females working in banking, insurance, and accounting than men. Nearly half of all American attorneys are female and a little over a third of doctors are women. However, half of all 2010 medical, MBA and law degrees will be awarded to women.

2 Comments:

At 10:58 AM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

Yet, engineering is still dominated by men. I don't need a statistic for that, I'm living it.

And it sucks.

 
At 6:07 PM, Anonymous Misogynistic Mike said...

All those statistics and yet one fact remains: there has yet to be a woman president.

Yes, affirmative action and Title IX are archaic! They need not be thrown out, but rather restructured to give us White Anglo-Saxon Protestant MEN our edge back.

With women in the work force who is going to cook my dinner, raise my kids, do my laundry, etc.? I sure as hell am not.

Call me old school, but it's the men's job to make decisions and the women's job to answer the phones and file documents.

That's why I'm suggesting the NACWM, National Association for the Comeback of White Men.

Oh, and who do you think sells more tickets? The NBA or the WNBA? The NFL or the, um, err? The NHL or the uhhh...? The MLB or the ahh?

I want my throne back! And I'm bringing all WHITE MEN with me.

This is our world, you all are lucky we have let you get as far as we have.

I hope you enjoyed it while it lasted.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home