cyclonejohn

Monday, June 21, 2010

The GO(B)P apology

I had a really nice weekend. One of those summer weekends that I dreamed about in January. I did not work Friday but woke up early to watch the American World Cup game. I hate to admit it but I did find myself enjoying the game more than I thought I would. In the afternoon I went for a nice walk, picked up Allie had a little (okay a lot) of Buffalo Wild Wings and then saw a movie. I worked on Saturday but after work a bunch of us met up with Sarah Lee and her family in Evanston to celebrate her finishing graduate school. We played Frisbee on the beach, played some beach volleyball, bbq'd, and waded in Lake Michigan. It was a wonderful night. I worked all day Sunday. I got home and watched a little Harry Potter on HBO before Allie called and said she wanted to play catch. Never one to turn down outside athletics, we hung out outside for the rest of the night before grilling and making home made long island iced teas. What a wonderful weekend.

1. I have seen a lot of movies. I do not know if I have ever seen a more messed up move than Splice - which I saw Friday evening. I actually thought the writing was good for 95% of the movie. I did not care for how the director/writers ended the movie and I thought there were a couple scenes that were beyond graphic. In one scene, I felt a little physically sick; and could not look at the screen. I give the movie a B-. It's not a bad movie but please be warned that there are scenes of violence on animals, and extremely graphic, disgusting rape scenes.

2. I am a little bit flummoxed at the media/America's shock that Texas Republican congressman Joe Barton said basically that the federal government owes BP an apology. Sure, it was a stupid political move; but it was not a gaffe. Barton was candidly saying what he and many conservative congressmen truly believe - that the federal government needs to do more to help the big oil companies, not punish them. In fact many conservative commentators like Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh actually are openly agreeing with Barton. However, if I were the GOP leadership, I would at least try to save face and ask Barton to resign his post as chairman of the House Energy Committee. It's a bad message to send to the American public about energy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home