cyclonejohn

Friday, July 23, 2010

Learning to fly

It's been a while and I have much to write about. Last Friday, I had some people over. Everything was going well until my co-worker brought over the Bacardi Gold. The night then became a blur of dancing, Aaliyah, and firecrackers. Saturday, Koo, Nim and I played some basketball, and had a great lunch at Epic Burger. On Saturday night I surprised Allie with tickets to one of her favorite bands, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Petty put on a really good show. And, thanks to Nimit's contacts, I got a free upgrade on our tickets to pretty good seats. On Sunday, Allie and I walked around the Chicago Botanic Gardens. I have driven by it a million times on the way home to Minneapolis but never seen it. For those who live in the Midwest, take the time to go see the Gardens. The landscaping is breathtakingly beautiful. I'm not even much into gardening or landscaping and I thought these gardens were awesome. Plus, it's free.

1. I really saw the movie Inception. I enjoyed it and would recommend it. I give it a B+. The special effects and fight scenes are reason enough to go see the movie. Plus I think that Leonardo DiCaprio is a top five actor. There are some amazing holes left in the script that bugged me but not enough to take away from the movie. I also think this is a movie that needs to be seen on the big screen.

2. I was reading in Escapistmagazine.com about what those nerds at MIT have been doing in their spare time. According to the article, this group has developed an algorithm on Facebook to determine if you are gay regardless of what you put down in your interested in section. Basically if you have a lot of gay friends and in your like section you like a lot of the same things that openly gay people like, then there is a good chance you are gay. Uh huh.

3. Speaking of Facebook, I was reading about some of the differences of Facebook in America vs. Facebook in other countries. One of the things that the U.K. Facebook has is a Panic Button. Basically if you are a target of cyber bullying, or some other verbal assault, you hit this Facebook Panic Button and immediately the police are notified of the exchange. I think this is a great idea and want it implemented in America. There have been too many stories of inappropriate activity that is beyond rude to criminal.

4. Congratulations Jerusalem for being the idiot city of the day. 30 year old Sabbar Kashur met a Jewish woman they had consensual sex. He lied and not only said he was single (he was married with two kids) but that he was a Jew (he is a Muslim). The woman went to the police and he was arrested and found guilty of by the Jerusalem District Court of "Rape by Deception". You mean that in other countries men have lied about who they are to have sex with a woman?!?! That would never happen here! Kashur was sentenced to 18 months in prison. But let's be honest here, this is not rape by deception - it is bigotry. I really wish these two countries would grow up.

1 Comments:

At 6:49 PM, Anonymous Misogynistic Mike said...

1. I want to see that movie. It looks good, I'm glad you liked it.

2. Really? A guy who enjoys Sex and the City and Flirtinis is gay? What an amazing new find!

3. It should be renamed the "I'm a pussy button".

4. Of course it's rape. I'm sure your feminist friends could inform you of this, but I'll take a crack at it. Rape is either a) a man having nonconsensual sex with a woman, or b) a woman waking up in the morning and upset that she had sex and runs and screams rape. Unfortunately these days the latter is more common.

Oh, and you must be anti-American because you're not agreeing with Israel. That would mean you probably would side with Al-Qaeda and think that 9/11 is a holiday of celebration rather than mourning.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home