cyclonejohn

Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Slice of Americana

This blog used to be a vehicle for me to vent to all of you about all that is going wrong with the world. In particular, all that is going wrong with me. It's hard to do that now. Life is pretty good. Actually, life is really good. I was kind of reminded of that this weekend.

On Friday afternoon, Allie, Brittany, and Jason Crystal and I loaded up my Toyota Scion and headed for Lake Leelanau, Michigan - a small town in Western Michigan. I had been there twice before and knew how much fun it was going to be. Once again, the trip lived up to my sky-high expectations. One thing I kept mentioning over and over again was how American the trip was - s'mores over the campfire, small town parade, roadtrips with classic rock over the stereo, reading on the hammock, fireworks, grilling burgers and hotdogs, and drinking local beer. The trip was an A+. Yes, I still love doing things like jet-skiing and speed boating; but that is not what I will miss when I think about that small Michigan town. Living in the big city, I had all but forgotten how beautiful the stars look in the middle of nowhere. I had forgotten how amazing it is to wake up and see the sun rise over a lake. Or, to see a sunset among the rolling hills of southwestern Michigan. It also made me appreciate Chicago, too. When we drove back, exhausted from an adventure filled weekend and a long car ride to see the fireworks from U.S. Cellular Field and the skyline from Lake Shore Drive, we all sat back and appreciated living in one of the most exciting cities in the world. Absolutely, this weekend was one that made me sit back and appreciate how amazing the world can be sometimes when you take a few days to forget about the pressures of work, cell phones, internet, TV, the news, and instead focus on friendship, family, and experiences.

1. Earlier last week when Allie invited me to go see a concert headlined by some band named Pinot (like the wine), I was hesitant. But, I like concerts and I like making Allie happy, I decided why not go. It's not like I had anything else to do on a Thursday night. I was extremely happy that I went! The guitarist is a friend from Allie's high school but the band formed in Los Angeles. They are kind of like a 2010 James Brown with incredible guitar, saxophone, and vocals. They are currently touring all over America from Cambridge, Massachusetts, to Minneapolis. I highly recommend you go to www.pinotfunk.com to find out when they are next coming to your city and checking them out. Really outstanding music.

2. Currently listening to "Somewhere over the rainbow" by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole.

1 Comments:

At 10:09 AM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

I used to know that guitarist you speak of. I'm still kicking myself that I never took him up on the chance to jam with him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home