cyclonejohn

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Keepin' up with the Kennedy's

Has there ever been a cooler family than the Kennedy's? Although tragic with the premature deaths of John, John Jr, and my favorite, Bobby Kennedy, I have always enjoyed reading about them. Stemming from a grandma and mother who enjoy reading biographies about America's first family, I grew up with an appreciation of the Kennedy's. Although I feel that JFK was arguably the most over-rated Democrat of all-time, the brilliance of Bobby, and the compassion of Ted Kennedy more than made up for John's misconceptions. I think one reason the family has been interesting to me is about just how cool they all seemed to me. This was confirmed when the FBI finally released their files on Ted Kennedy. According to the declassified files, the Kennedy's definitely had secret deals made with the mob and that there was an orgy at the Carlyle Hotel in Manhatten with the three Kennedy brothers, Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr, Kennedy's brother in law Peter Lawford, his wife, and Marilyn Monroe. Can you imagine if something like that came out in 2010 about Obama?!?! I would highly recommend googling "FBI Ted Kennedy files". You will read all kinds of crazy stuff. The mafia/Kennedy relationship is particularly interesting.

1. Speaking of the mob, how messed up is Mexico?! In the latest Newsweek, there is a great article about how dangerous that country really is. Since 2006, over 20,000 people have died just in the drug wars alone. I guess the violence is ramping up as election season there is close and the various drug lords all have their candidates they want to be elected. Drugs are big business in Mexico - to the tune of $29 billion a year. I give President Calderon credit, he has done a lot in the unwinnable drug war. Committing troops and financial resources to battling the notorious Mexican mafia. I wish I were smart enough to know how to solve the issue.

2. I just finished reading the sequel to Freakonomics by Stephen Dubner and Steven Levitt, called Superfreakonomics. If you enjoyed the first one, you will enjoy this one. I give the book a B+. It was a fun, light, nice summer read. It is certainly over-simplistic regarding ideas like global warming but also has fascinating insights into the progress of women's rights in India, prostitution in Chicago, and the dangers of drinking and walking.

3. My man crush on Justin Morneau is growing by the day.

4. Congratulations to the United States soccer team. I watched the whole game. Although it was incredibly frustrating, I am happy with the win.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home