cyclonejohn

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Couple of thoughts...

I went home for a couple of days. Always good to catch up with the family and some friends. While I was in town I went to the beautiful Orpheum Theater to see the musical, Wicked. In general I liked it. I read the book first but the book was wildly different than the musical. The book was dark and mature. The musical was clearly written for nine year old girls. This is not to say that the musical numbers are not catchy, the music isn't good, or I didn't have a good time. It is just basically a fluff play. Bottom line, if you have the chance, it is worth the money, but I don't need to see it again.

1. In the theater, my Mom, sister, and I saw the movie Easy A. I came away disappointed. After some outstanding reviews, Easy A is a clear homage to 1980's high school comedies - a la Breakfast Club, 16 Candles, et cetera. Starring Emma Stone, Thomas Haden Church, and Lisa Kudrow, Easy A is an obvious play on the Scarlet Letter (a novel which is frequently referenced). It's not that the movie is bad, it's just that the jokes were geared toward its audience of high school girls. If you liked Mean Girls, you will like Easy A. I give it a C+.

2. I did rent the movie Date Night. This is that movie that stars Tina Fey and Steve Carrell. I liked it and it was certainly worth the $1 I paid for it at Redbox. I give it a B.

3. The lead singer of Gnarles Barkley, Cee-lo, has a new single. It is called "Fuck You". It is so unbelievably catchy!! I have been singing it all day.

4. Awesome. Vikings are 0-2, Gophers 1-2, Cyclones, 1-2. Cool.

1 Comments:

At 11:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

But the Wildcats are 3-0!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home