cyclonejohn

Thursday, March 10, 2011

10,000 spoons when all you need is fork

I have been feeling like an old man recently. Not physically, but in my spirit. As I read the papers about Republican Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker and his Republican controlled congress stripping away the rights of various unions to negotiate through collective bargaining, the passion that might have existed in me five or six years has disappeared. Despite Madison only being a two hour drive from Chicago, I am, in a way, surprised by how little I care about the plight of the union workers in Wisconsin. I suppose that this could be attributed for several reasons:

A) I feel many of the nation's unions are out of control... i.e. Teacher's Union, United Auto-Workers, and others.

B) The purpose of collective bargaining is a lot different than it was 50 or 60 years ago. Back then, let's say you were part of a local meatpacking union. You were most likely poor and undereducated. So you pooled your money, hired attorneys to conduct collective bargaining with the city or state on your behalf. Times are a lot different now. People are better educated. The need for collective bargaining is not as strong. This, is no doubt, because of the success of a strong union to protect its workers. It provided benefits, overtime pay, mandatory vacation days, sick days, and much more. The Unions worked. They made America a better place! But times have changed and possibly some of the unions do have too much power. Possibly some of the benefits, like lifetime health insurance or phenomenal pension plans, are absurd and outdated and need to be stripped.

This is not to say that I don't sympathize with the workers of Wisconsin who are getting benefits and pay cuts stripped away by a Governor who cares more about a 2012 or 2016 Presidential run than he does about his own people.

At this point, my opinion is that I don't have an opinion... yet. I can see both points and I am curious to see what happens. I will also say though that this is an area which I am particularly ignorant and if you have any interesting columns or articles that might sway my opinion either way, I am interested.

1. It is my day off so I decided to be completely unproductive. Allie and Lauren came over this afternoon after work and we took advantage of Nimit's Netflix to watch movies. I was unaware of the legendary 1986 children's film Labyrinth - starring David Bowie and a very young Jennifer Connelly. It is isn't bad... but certainly would have been more enjoyable if I were 11 or at least not completely sober. However, I am glad I saw it. However, after they left I decided to watch the movie Amadeus. I had only seen it one time 10-15 years ago. I forgot how awesome it is! The acting, the writing, and of course the music are all incredible. I have since spent the past 30 minutes learning that almost the whole movie was fiction. However, I have learned so many interesting facts about Mozart. For instance, did you know that the song Twinkle Twinkle Little Star is in fact a highly simplified version of his song, "Ah Vous Dirai-Je, maman"?

2. I recently finished The Associate by John Grisham. Grisham is kind of my go to author when I want to read something fun. It's not his best book but if you enjoy his novels, in particular The Firm, than The Associate will be a good fit. I liked it but it had an unsatisfying ending and lacked some of the wit of some of his earlier books like The Rainmaker.

17 Comments:

At 10:02 AM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

Tonight, go on Netflix Instant Watch, and watch the first 2 episodes of Firefly.

You will thank me later.

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger cyclonejohn said...

Everybody tells me how awesome Firefly is. It's next up to watch. Before summer I will have watched the whole season. I just need to find someone to watch it with me... I have an idea! Fly to Chicago and have a Firefly marathon with me. I will provide all the Busch Light you can drink.

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger Koo4You said...

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/jon-stewart-exposes-the-lavish-lifestyle-of-the-american-public-school-teacher/

 
At 12:40 AM, Anonymous Penny Auction Site said...

nice one thanks for sharing.

 
At 12:24 AM, Anonymous Penny Auction Site said...

Wonderful post I like to read it.

 
At 1:51 AM, Anonymous GPS Tracking System said...

Superb information you provide us dear..............

 
At 4:44 AM, Anonymous Penny Auction Script said...

Hi,
We have an website auctionwebsitescript, Which provide professional Auction Script Software offers flexibility and advanced features that are simple to deploy and easy to manage.

 
At 12:22 AM, Anonymous E-Learning Software India said...

Hi,
We have an site study8home, Which promised to provide complete e-learning website and software solution and strive for customer satisfaction. Our e-learning software powers your online education with reliability and predictable costs.

 
At 5:41 AM, Anonymous Online Penny Auctions said...

Hi,
We have an site in which you can Bid and win best deals on online auction by bidding online at pujaclic.es Penny.

 
At 12:02 AM, Anonymous GPS Micro Tracker said...

Hi,
We are specialized in Advanced GPS Tracking Device including GPS Tracking System, GPS Fleet Tracking System, Real Time GPS Tracking and completing your requirement for Vehicle Tracking, Bike Tracking and Personal Tracking device at very affordable prices.

Thanks

 
At 4:09 AM, Anonymous Ebay Bidding Software said...

Hi,
We transform ideas and information into innovation, action, flexible delivery and rapid deployment and provide all the features you need to create professional and high quality Ebay Clone Website through our Ebay Clone Software.

Thanks

 
At 6:57 AM, Anonymous Online Auctions said...

Hi,
Faljo.com - Your online source for Online Auctions, Online Shopping, Car Auctions and much more. Buy and Sell with our Online Auction community today, the World's online marketplace. Just Sign up and begin to buy and sell everything in auction now.

Thanks

 
At 5:00 AM, Anonymous GPS Tracking System said...

Hi,
We are specialized in Advanced GPS Tracking Device including GPS Tracking System, GPS Fleet Tracking System, Real Time GPS Tracking and completing your requirement for Vehicle Tracking, Bike Tracking and Personal Tracking device at very affordable prices.

Thanks

 
At 11:42 PM, Anonymous Online Penny Auctions said...

Hi,
We have an site in which you can Bid and win best deals on online auction by bidding online at pujaclic.es Penny.

Thanks

 
At 4:36 AM, Anonymous Groupon Clone Script said...

Hi,
Auction Website Script selling best quality Groupon clone script at a very reasonable price.Our Ready Made solution will get your groupon clone website online in few hours.

Thanks

 
At 5:36 AM, Anonymous Online Auction said...

Nice Sharing!
Faljo.com - Your online source for Online Auctions, Online Shopping, Car Auctions and much more. Buy and Sell with our Online Auction community today, the World's online marketplace. Just Sign up and begin to buy and sell everything in auction now.

 
At 6:20 AM, Anonymous pay Per Minute Video Chat Software said...

Nice Post!
I am really glad to found your post in which you offered interesting information. It is really good read to me.

Thanks for sharing information!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home