cyclonejohn

Friday, November 26, 2010

An Indian Thanksgiving

Sometimes in life, all you have to do is ask. After I spent yesterday whining about American music in 2010, I was handed an album to listen to by a co-worker. She and I had spent a while talking about our shared interests in music. We both like a style of music that doesn't really have a name (Jimmy Eat World, Weezer, Vampire Weekend, et cetera). It's not really rock... not pop... not alternative... hmm.... Pop-Rock? I don't know. I think more of bands like Panic at the Disco or Good Charlotte as pop-rock.

Anyway.

I digress.

I was handed a copy of a CD by the band - Fun - called Aim and Ignite. The lead singer is Nate Weuss of The Format "fame". WOW!!! I have not been this blown away by a new band since Vampire Weekend a year or two ago. Fun has the vocals of a Damien Rice with the Vampire Weekend band in the style of Queen. Weird? Kooky? Yeah. Awesome? Fuck yeah! It's awesome. Another thing I really like about Aim and Ignite is that it is an album. The first couple songs are a little out there but that is because the album is not a collection of ten singles like so many albums are in the 2010 iTunes world that have two or three good songs and the rest is a bunch of insipid garbage.

1. I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. I had a very unusual Thanksgiving. Every year growing up, my family and I would drive to Menomanie, WI on Thanksgiving Day to celebrate family at my Mom's Aunt's place. We would eat pumpkin pie, turkey, stuffing, watch football, and basically have the traditional American holiday feast. After recovering from our food coma, we would drive to Milwaukee to do the same thing with my Dad's side. This year was quite different with the move to Chicago and my Mom's Aunt basically retiring from Thanksgiving. I actually ended up having Thanksgiving with Nimit's family yesterday. His family was incredibly gracious and I feasted! After dinner, I met my family at a hotel in Wisconsin. We woke up the next day, caught a movie, did some shopping, and then had a dinner at my Dad's sister's house. It was a magnificent dinner (minus a few key cousins) and after dinner I drove home and I am back on my couch. Don't get me wrong. I had a nice break from work and enjoyed seeing my family. I guess I am just a guy who likes the tradition of Holidays and am sad to see some of my favorite traditions disappear.

2. My family and I saw the movie Morning Glory this afternoon. It's the comedy about a newsroom with Harrison Ford, Rachel McAdams, and Diane Keeton. It's not terrible but certainly not worth your time at a theater. I give it a C+. Wait until it comes out on DVD.

3. Currently listening to "I wanna be the one" by Fun.

1 Comments:

At 12:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some people missed you this weekend! :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home