cyclonejohn

Thursday, November 25, 2010

C'mon American People... not again.

The idea of the American Music Awards is an interesting concept. While awards like The Grammy's, Tony's, and Oscar's are all voted on by a mysterious "academy" the American Music Awards are determined by a poll of actual music buyers. The awards are based on sales, online voting, and airplay. Although I can't recall watching any episode in the past, I was a little intrigued to watch it this year. I ended up missing it but went online the next day to see who won.

Justin Bieber swept every category he was nominated in.

Justin fucking Bieber.

I have tried to listen to his music. I don't necessarily buy a lot of pop music but if it's catchy, I will at least hum along. I get it that I am an old man at 25, but I just don't understand how the American public could even nominate Justin Bieber for Artist of the Year and Male Entertainer of the Year. I mean, from everything I have read, Bieber seems to be a decent dude (he's 16... not a man). He treats his fans well and is active in various charities. But his songs are terrible! I don't know. I just don't get it. American pop music has never reached a lower point.

1. I'm watching Sportscenter. The Miami Heat are 8-7 this year. Really? One game above .500? I have to remind myself that it is very, very early in the NBA Season. The playoffs don't even start until mid-May!

2. Did anyone watch The Neon Trees on Conan tonight? Absolutely A+ performance of "Animal"!!! When I heard their songs on the radio I liked it but wrote it off as another pop-rock group that are a dime a dozen these days. But wow!! They absolutely rocked Conan tonight!! They look and sounded like The Strokes with a in your face homosexuality slant. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

3 Comments:

At 11:55 AM, Blogger Koo4You said...

Sadly american music has always been at this low point. How else can garbage like "Because I Got High", "Just The Way You Are", "Superman That Ho" ever get so intrinsically embedded into our psyche.... My policy is if it's on the radio (KISS, etc), it's crap.

1. They are a mediocre team. Or as D-Wade would like to say "the best 8-7 team in the league". Lack of a inside presence will seal their fate of a 1st or 2nd round exit in the playoffs. Clearly D-Wade and LBJ are not gelling together like they hope. Styles are too contrasting.

...and don't get be started on the ESPN lovefest with that team. The daily "Heat Index" reports for a .500 team? If that's the case where's my "Blazer Barometer"?!

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger cyclonejohn said...

Great comments, Koo!

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Brittany Petersen said...

Not gonna lie, "Just the Way You Are" makes me happy. I think it's memorable and recalls the happy emotions that Christina's (admittedly slightly cheesy but still awesome) "Beautiful" induced.

Bieber is crap though. My little cousins are all in love with him. They also wear eyeliner at age 12. Sigh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home