cyclonejohn

Monday, February 21, 2011

158.723

I'm a big 1st amendment guy. When I considered careers in law and journalism, it was to protect the 1st amendment. The right to free speech, free press, and the ability to practice religion of my choice is maybe the single reason that makes this country fantastic. However, I realize that this means I have to realize that even when things are created that I find morally disgusting, I have to at least try my best to look the other way. This brings me to the website, www.ashleymadison.com. I first heard about it when Fox banned its ad during the Superbowl. Tonight I decided to check out for myself what the commotion was about. Basically, it's a dating site with a distinct purpose - it's a place for married people to discreetly meet and cheat on their husbands or wives. I spent some time reading about the founder, Noel Biderman. Apparently he spent a long time working as an agent in Chicago. One of his responsibilities was to help find some of his clients, primarily professional basketball players, discreet one-night stands, affairs, mistresses, et cetera. Apparently, after reading somewhere that 30% of online daters are actually married but pretending to be single, he named the website after the two most popular names of the year, Ashley and Madison (year 2002). Nine years later it now has almost nine million members and generated almost 60 million in revenue!! I guess I'm fairly naive about how much cheating really goes on. I just think the fact that people are profitting on it is absolutely disgusting.

1. Have any of you been following the new drama on Fox, The Chicago Code? It's awesome! Really awesome!

2. Yesterday night, after an incredible dinner prepared by Allie and Brittany, we watched the Academy Award winning movie - Boys Don't Cry. It's certainly the type of movie that the academy loves. I can see why it was Hillary Swank's breakthrough role. However, I don't know if I actually enjoyed myself. It's so sad and there were some parts that were so revoltingly heartbreaking, after the movie was finished, I just left feeling depressed. I thought movies were supposed to be entertaining? Bottom line, if you are looking for a brilliant film with phenomnenal writing and acting, Boys Don't Cry is for you. If you are looking to be entertained, I would stress going in a different direction.

3. Hopefully everyone had a great weekend. Friday night was pretty relaxed. After a really long day at work, Allie and I had a great dinner at one of my new favorite restaurants, Taco Joint, had some margaritas and went to bed early. Saturday was full of shopping at the mall, making dinner, and watching The Pacific. Saturday night, some friends and I decided to go downtown. Now normally I don't really like going downtown. I feel it's over-priced, claustrophobic, and un-enjoyable. I was proven right at the first bar we went to Manor. The staff was so incredibly rude to my friends and I that eventually I suggested we go across the street to Kerryman. Kerryman was a fun, cool Irish Pub. We relaxed there before heading home at about Midnight. Sunday I worked.

4. I'm just happy the Carmelo Anthony trade is finally complete! I was so sick of reading about it. Everybody wins. New York now has two superstars in Carmelo and Amar'e Stoudamire, plus Chauncey Billups. Denver gets to rebuild with talented young players like Galinarri and Raymond Felton, plus three draft picks. I think it's good for both teams.

1 Comments:

At 4:58 PM, Anonymous travelgirls said...

This is the best post on this topic i have ever read.I am really very impressed with the blogging

 

Post a Comment

<< Home