cyclonejohn

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Glee(ked) out!

It's no doubt that the show Glee is a huge hit. It's ratings are enormous but I had no idea how popular the show actually is. Last night while watching the show with Nimit and Ann, I just googled Glee to see what came up. The headline was that Glee, in only its second full season, has surpassed Elvis with the most songs ever on the Billboard Hot 100 list. Elvis had 108 songs and Glee has 113 (and growing). Obviously they are all cover songs, but when Glee's reign is done, it will just obliterate many music records. I just looked at iTunes. Five of the top ten downloads in America were recently performed on Glee. Plus everytime Glee performs an artist's song, it skyrockets up the charts. This just makes the Kings of Leon complete idiots for not wanting to "sell out" and let Glee cover their songs. Apparently they are uninterested in more people hearing their songs and making money.

1. I just read that this upcoming Fall, NBC is bringing back the show Wonder Woman. Her "weapon" is a rope... Well, I just don't see how this show could possibly be interesting. Who knows? Maybe it will be the next Alias.

2. I hope everyone had a great Valentine's Day. Mine was fantastic. Allie surprised me with the HBO mini-series Pacific, which I had wanted for months, and she made an awesome beef tenderloin dinner. I'm very lucky. Speaking of Valentine's Day, one of my favorite VD stories was about... White Castle. Stay with me here. I was vaguely aware, but mostly unfamiliar until I saw on ABC, what White Castle does for Valentine's. Basically they shut down for the whole morning while they completely revamp the Castle into a fancy restaurant. White tables cloths, roses, waiters, BYOB, et cetera. I think it's awesome and hilarious. Apparently this is a very popular tradition. The menu does not change.

5 Comments:

At 2:43 PM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

*I don't care what Glee thinks it has done. To me it's a whole different ball game with different budgets and players. Until other people enter the game, and we classify it as a sub-genre, I consider the hits from Glee to not be songs.

They may be good, but I'll ignore them when they win a Grammy or fill the charts.

* Wonder Woman has more than a rope. I have to admit that I don't know much about comics, but I did do some research into the new villians for the next Batman film. The backstory on these guys is thick and deep. Do some research on Wikipedia on Wonder Woman and you'll get an idea how it could be a show. Who knows how well it will do though.

 
At 9:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Apparently they are uninterested in ... and making money"

Yes, because THAT is what music is all about.

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger cyclonejohn said...

Alright "anonymous". There is also something to the phrase, "Imitation is the best form of flattery." I'm not anti-Kings of Leon. In fact, I saw them in concert four years ago before they were "popular". Before their sex was on fire. I just simply think not letting Glee cover "Use Somebody" is a foolish business decision.

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger cyclonejohn said...

Andrew, you are right. After reading the Wikipedia write-up of Wonder Woman I am now more intrigued.

 
At 7:34 AM, Blogger jose espinosa said...

si te gustan los camiones visitenos!!
http://excabadorasespi.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home