cyclonejohn

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Working my way back to you

It is certainly not what I expected to be doing over nine months after being laid off. With a 3.9 GPA, and work experience from a nationally known media company, I assumed I would have secured something full time by now. However, seven days ago I decided enough is enough and I was going to accept part-time work at a restaurant close to my apartment. I just got home from my first day at Rollapalooza. It is only a ten minute walk from my apartment. Roll is a Japanese restaurant; specializing in sushi. The food is outstanding and the prices are reasonable. I wish I would have discovered it when I first moved here. There are only three employees. Naturally, I am the only one who can speak English. Let's just say the training period was challenging at best. There is one server/host, one chef/manager (who can speak broken English), and one dishwasher/assistant cook (who just moved to America three weeks ago). The money was average; but the customers were loyal, knowledgeable, and nice. The restaurant opens at 3:00 and closes at 11:00. I got home at about 11:45. The good news is that the chef/manager likes me and wants me to work six days a week. Roll is closed on Monday. I was very honest with the manager. I explained that I took this job because I was laid off and I will work there until I am offered a full time position. He seemed fine with that, as long as I promised to give him a full two weeks notice. I thought that was reasonable. I found the position because there was a help wanted sign on the door. The manager must have forgot to take down the sign because three people came into asking if we were still hiring. With starting work at 3:00, I should have plenty of time to interview in the mornings. Bottom line, it's not a perfect situation, but it's money - paid in cash.

1. One of the most beloved Minnesotans of all-time is singer/songwriter Bob Dylan. For four decades, Dylan has been performing his hits like Hurricane, Blowin in the Wind and Like a Rolling Stone (which three years ago Rolling Stone Magazine named the single greatest song ever.) Naturally, when I heard that Dylan had just come out with a Christmas album, I was intrigued. However, I was horrified when I read that the Chicago Tribune gave the album zero stars out of four. Until I listened to it on Youtube. That's enough, Dylan. You are humiliating yourself. Take a listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc1CSRPvKfw

2. Last night's episode of The Office was unbearably unfunny. It is season six of the show. Unfortunately, I think they are about a season too long. The writers have just run out of funny ideas. It pained me to write that.

3 Comments:

At 12:32 AM, Anonymous Mr. Teeds said...

Dylan is over-rated. He's a great song WRITER, but when it comes to singing he should leave it to someone else.

If I were to rate his singing on a 1-10 scale, it would be around a 3.

The Christmas Disaster is rated on the same scale around a -1000.

Nuff said.

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger The Rhythm of One said...

I agree with Teeds. Great writer, decent musician, bad singer.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on the Office. It wasn't the best episode, but I did enjoy it. More over the top than usual. Community however, I really enjoyed. It seems to be filling out as a full comedy.

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Jon said...

Fidler, I don't know how you managed to survive nine months of unemployment. I just moved to Melbourne and I've been unemployed exactly thirteen days now and all I can do it agonize over finding a job every minute of every day.

Anyways, congrats on the job, even if it is just a part-time filler job.

Also: The Office should have ended a season ago, at least. That's what I liked about the British version. They knew when to stop.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home