cyclonejohn

Monday, November 23, 2009

Drove to Chicago. All things know. All things know.

Well, that was one of my more whirlwind weekends. Friday night, was really fun. It was my roommate, Ann's, birthday. She celebrated it at this really cool, chic, nightclub downtown called Landmark. I don't care to discuss how much money was spent... but it was all worth it. Saturday while my friends were sleeping in until mid-day, I had to be at work at 9:00. I survived that enough to come home and watch my teams embarrass themselves. Moving on, Saturday night I went over to Allie's apartment. Her roommate has a birthday this weekend, and her girlfriend (yes, her roommate is gay), was throwing her a surprise party. I always love and have loved surprise parties; this was no exception. It also allowed me to get out of my comfort zone; being surrounded by so many people from an alternative lifestyle. I think I made some new friends and had a nice night. Although at 24, I think I am ready to retire from playing flippy cup, and drinking Busch Light. I was really excited for Sunday though. Nathan Lane, possibly the most talented living theater actor of our generation, has been in Chicago for a new show, The Addam's Family. It was a musical, quite strange, but still overall funny and enjoyable. Nathan Lane was of course brilliant. I also loved seeing the show in The Oriental Theater. Absurdly gaudy, but also resplendently beautiful, The Oriental Theater is a Chicago treasure.

1. Joe Mauer won the American League MVP award today. He received all but one first place vote? Who was the idiot that did not vote him for first? About this time last year I said the Twins desperately need to sign Mauer to an extension. How many tens of millions of dollars did that mistake cost the Twins.

2. In a recent Des Moines Register article, 68% of Iowa Republicans "like what they see" out of Sarah Palin. I would love nothing more than for Palin to win the Republican nomination. Obama would destroy her in 2012. Unfortunately ladies and gentlemen, we are not that far away from campaigning season again for the 2010 mid-term elections.

3. I have a question about stretching. I am not very flexible and really need to work on it. How long should I hold one stretch position to gradually become more lithe? I have heard anywhere from 30 seconds to 120 seconds is necessary. I don't like stretching but if I want to reach optimum health, it is something I need to reincorporate into my work-outs.

4. Currently listening to "Chicago" by Sufjan Stevens.

3 Comments:

At 3:03 PM, Anonymous Michael Taylor said...

I've always heard 30-60 seconds for stretching. Sounds about right to me...anything over a minutes seems like it would be overkill.

Oh, and Nathan Lane is a genius. Glad someone else noticed.

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Koo4You said...

its anywhere from 20-45 seconds before pushing yourself a little bit farther. It all depends on the person.

The key thing that many people dont realize is breathing. You need to be taking deep breaths in and out as you do it to help promote circulation through the body (better circulation=better stretching).

120 seconds is just overkill.

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

if i remember correctly, in High school we used to hold a SLOW 8 second count.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home