cyclonejohn

Monday, April 12, 2010

In defense of capitalism

Last night Nimit and I rented Michael Moore's latest movie, Capitalism: A Love Story. We both thought it was complete garbage. Eight years ago, Moore was a man to be admired. His movie Bowling for Columbine was the most brilliant documentary I have ever seen. His book, Stupid White Men, was inspirational in getting me to shake off my political apathy and take an activist role in the 2000 and 2004 election. However, the last seven or so years, Moore has turned from someone I looked up to, into a buffoonish character. His movies Fahrenheit 9/11 and Sicko, both had interesting points that for the most part I agreed with. However, the tone was so sardonic, and far-fetched, that the movies made me uncomfortable. In a way, this is a sequel to his 1989 movie, Roger and Me, in which he said that General Motor's poor mismanagement will eventually lead to their downfall. He was right. His new movie though just goes through sob story over sob story about how the big bad banks came and foreclosed people's houses after they were laid off. Moore's tone is less witty, and more sardonically cantankerous. The movie was boring, factually questionable, and uninspiring. If I were Moore, I would go back to being an author and chill with the obnoxious documentaries.

1. I hope everyone had a nice weekend. I had a lovely, but cold weekend. Friday night I ended up working late and then I just went back and watched the Twins game on TV. Saturday night, Anay, Nimit and I went to a really fun party at Jim and Sarah's. Out of control... in a good way. Sunday, I actually save another movie that I really liked. I watched American Psycho with Christian Bale. It is dark, twisted, violent, but absolutely brilliant. I give it an A.

2. President Obama's approval rating has hit a new low - averaging around 45%. It just proves that although the economy is up huge in 2010, unless the unemployment numbers make a drastic turn, the Democrats will be in big trouble in the mid-term elections in November.

1 Comments:

At 10:26 PM, Anonymous Mike Tieden said...

And now with this new health care bill that forces employers to cover employee's health costs...it will mean expense cutting other places...such as wages, other benefit packages, and probably more layoffs.

Thank you, Democrats.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home