cyclonejohn

Sunday, January 10, 2010

So this is the new year

Let me start out by apologizing for taking so long to post. I have been saving up items to write about and I promise to write again more often. It has been kind of crazy with being in Minnesota for Christmas, New Year's, and starting a new job two weeks ago. I have been working long hours and have not had much time just to sit back and relax. As I do at the beginning of every new year, I think it is important for me to reflect back on the year that was and think about what the new year will bring. 2009 was a bit of a roller coaster with me. There were some incredible highs - moving to Chicago, living with friends again, and beginning a new relationship. However, 2009 was also a year full of incredible regret and grief. The constant rejection in the job search led me to lose my confidence in myself. I often danced around between the feeling of sadness, hopelessness, and frustration at continually getting told I would not be offered a position. After a while I was just beaten down to nothing. My face looked older, my body more tired, and my mind was often less sharp than it used to be. It is not fair that I associate so much self worth with employment, but I do. Although I don't wake up everyday dreaming of selling data processing software, I am very grateful for the opportunity. With the turn of the calendar year, I really think 2010 is going to be a great year. I am making new friends, and I am really starting to enjoy Chicago. It has taken me a long while but I am finally starting to figure out this city, and how wonderful it is. Thanks for being patient with me. I will be better at writing.

1. One issue I have always disagreed with liberals on is affirmative action. I think it is backwards and actually promotes racism. One recent example of its failure is The Rooney Rule in the NFL. Created in 2003 in honor of former Pittsburgh Steelers owner Dan Rooney's commitment to hiring African-American coaches, The Rooney Rule requires every team that has an opening for a head coaching position to interview at least one African-American candidate. I feel this just promotes racism. A perfect example is what is going on with Seattle. Everyone knows that the Seahawks are going to hire Pete Carrol, who is white, but they are being forced to interview African-Americans. This is insulting to parade these men in when they know they are not wanted. If we are progressive enough as a country to elect a non-white president, maybe we are progressive enough to trust that owners will hire the most talented coach, regardless of skin color.

2. This has been one of my favorite weekends in Chicago. Friday night, Allie and I made dinner, before joining some friends for a little champagne pong. I slept in Saturday, watched some basketball, and then met up with friends at McFadden's, and my new favorite bar in Chicago called English. Super classy, super fun, and not outrageous prices. What a wonderful night.

3. Currently listening to "Time to Pretend" by MGMT.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home